Our 4th of July a.k.a. The 100ft Water Slip 'n Slide

Today I woke up and I felt like a train had run over me. And no, I didn't have one drop of alcohol yesterday! I don't know when I got so old, but careening down a slip 'n slide and running up a hill for a few hours really took it out of me. I think N was actually in worse shape this morning but he was also 1) being way crazier on the slide and 2) already has bad knees and a bad back. Either way the pain is totally worth it because yesterday was the best 4th of July ever!

One of my favorite 4th of July traditions is the free mini flags realtors leave on your lawn!

R and I slept in yesterday while N gathered the supplies for the slip 'n slide. It was really sunny and hot in the morning and N thought it was going to be the perfect day for the slip 'n slide, but by the time we headed over to my parents house at 2pm the weather had cooled and gotten stormy. I was really worried we were going to get rained out, but the weather held and stayed just hot enough for water activities to be enjoyable.

I'm pretty sure that the first time N and I saw my parents new backyard (they moved into this house in 2011) we both thought it'd be perfect for slip 'n slides and sledding. We haven't done the latter yet, but thankfully we accomplished the former yesterday.

Yes my friends, this is an (almost- we folded it over at the top) 100ft slip 'n slide. N bought a gigantic roll of plastic sheeting, landscape stakes, and a soaker hose at Home Depot and setting it up was as easy as setting up a regular slip 'n slide- just uh, on a little bit bigger scale. Our original plan had been to buy a bunch of regular slip 'n slides and string them together, but this ended up being a much better idea. We had also planned on putting an inflatable pool at the end, not so much to slide into, but as a cushion to cover the rocks/ fence but we stupidly didn't do that. My leg/ tailbone and N's head/ back/ butt really wish we had done that.

 N doing a belly slide.

Me taking my waterproof phone for a ride. Please pay no mind to my obnoxious laughing.

After a few hours it started to get really cold and windy, and the plastic kept blowing off the ground. We decided to roll up the slide (until next time!) and head inside for some snacks. We made it inside just in time for a decent rain shower to pour down! We chatted and the kids played for awhile before my parents served dinner. 

By that time the rain had stopped and things had dried off a bit so we went back into the backyard to sit around their fire pit and roast s'mores/ light off fireworks. The big fireworks show in their community wasn't far from their house so when it came time for that we all went up to their top deck (it's off their master bedroom) to watch the shows.

Their house sits on a hill and overlooks the entire front range- you can almost see Boulder! This picture doesn't do it an ounce of justice, but we were able to see so many fireworks shows in the distance, it was hard to pick just one spot to look at! We had a great view of their community's fireworks show, and an ever better view of the AWESOME (and totally illegal!) fireworks that their neighbors were setting off. Next year we're going to need to make a trip to Wyoming to get some illegals. ;)

We had a great day with great friends and I couldn't have asked for anything better! My body may hate me today but you better believe that isn't the last time we'll be bringing out the giant slip 'n slide!


  1. Sounds like a great way to spend the holiday!

  2. I can't even begin to tell you how jealous I am of your slip n slide (and that gorgeous lawn). I'm pretty sure that there is nowhere in PHX that we could set one up like that.. stupid rocks! ha

    The sparkler pic is too cute :)


    1. It was amazing but painful, hahaha. My entire body was sore for three days after! It was worth it though! My parents have such an amazing yard, I wish it was mine!

  3. That is amazing! Great way to spend the 4th!