3.24.2014

Party Update!


R's birthday is May 3rd, and I had originally scheduled the party for May 4th. However, because my surgery is currently scheduled for the 21st (and the 20th is Easter) I decided to bump the party up to April 13th. I know a week won't be enough recovery time, and since I'm not really sure what will be enough recovery time I decided I'd rather be safe than sorry and pushed it to before the surgery.

Above are the invites I threw together in Photoshop. I don't know if I love them the way I loved the hockey ticket invites I've made the previous two years, but the creative part of my brain has been hard to reach lately. My heart just wasn't in it. I found a perfect My Little Pony graphic online, made the pastel rainbow background myself in Photoshop, and used a MLP themed font (found here.) I made the file size 8 x 12 so that it'd shrink down to a high quality 4 x 6, and then I had them printed at Walgreens. I had originally wanted matte prints, but those would have had to be shipped to me and after moving the party up I wanted to get these out ASAP. I was all excited that the prints only cost $6, but after envelopes, address labels, and stamps... Well, I don't want to talk about it. ;)

In case you were wondering, the invite does in fact say "no gifts." I know there are people who must think I'm weird or mean to do that, but I just don't want our friends to feel obligated to buy her something just for the sake of buying her something. Especially if they don't have a lot of money to spare. I just think it's needless. R's party is her gift, and she is certainly at wont for nothing. A lot of people usually do end up bringing her something and that is totally ok with me, we just don't open it at the party.

Anywho, because we are moving the party up I'm also scaling back on the things I wanted to order (cookies and cake pops) and I'm going to try to make as much as I can myself. One of my dear friends who happens to be very talented at baking and cupcake decorating has offered to come help me bake the day before and I'm very excited. I'm hoping to make a small cake for R, cupcakes, marshmallow crispy treats, cookies, jello squares, and fruit kabobs. My parents have a big, gorgeous kitchen with double ovens and an electric stand mixer so I'm all over that!

My mom also offered to cover the food food for the party, and she suggested doing a taco bar from Qudoba or Chipolte because it will be just as cost effective and equally as delicious. It doesn't really fit the theme but uh, who cares, haha. I think there is going to be plenty of good eats at the party- hopefully I will get to eat it!


I just ordered a big batch of party supplies from Party City (branded plates, napkins, etc. as well as streamers) and I decided that instead of goody bags (which I despise) I'll have a mini candy bar that people can grab candy from. I have a few other things I need to grab like balloons, but I think we're pretty much set at this point and honestly, I need to stop spending money- especially since I have her room to keep planning!

On the list of things still to make:
- A "happy birthday banner"
- Cupcake toppers
- Food signage
- R's tutu

And I think that might be it for now! Whoo hoo!

6 comments:

  1. I think no gifts is a great idea! Lots of luck with getting everything together for the party!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl! I'm trying not to stress like I did for her first birthday and I'm doing ok so far, but we'll see how I feel the night before the party, especially if I'm on a liquid diet. ;)

      Delete
  2. Aww, she's gonna love it! I can't wait to see her tutu :)

    Jen
    Jen.amileamemory@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I need to get on buying the tulle for it! I've seen spools of tulle that look SO much easier to use so I need to find those. Right now I use yards of tulle that I cut into strips myself and it's a giant pain in the butt.

      Delete
  3. Omg I bet that that is a huge pain! Where do you buy it, just the craft store?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would buy the yards of tulle at Joannes which is a craft and fabric store, but I think I've seen the spools of tulle at Michaels!

      Delete