9.15.2013

Nailed It: Bug Bouquet


Welcome to the first edition of Nailed It! where I attempt Pinterest crafts with probably varying results. Up today is the lovely Martha Stewart bug bouquet that I'm sure you've seen on Pinterest for years now.

 

I have been in love with this picture for at least two years now and I've always wanted to re-create it. This year I finally decided to bite the proverbial bullet and go for it.

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of my process, but I used a pitcher from Good Will, fake bugs/ spiders and floral foam from the Dollar Store, fake flowers from Jo-Ann's, and glossy black spray paint. I started out by spray painting both the pitcher and the bugs (they were rainbow colored.) I had to hurry because a storm was rolling in so unfortunately the vase got a little drippy. When it was dry (enough) I took it inside and put the floral foam in it. Then I added the flowers and then the bugs, simple as that! I really love arranging flowers and would love to be a florist some day (good thing I have my B.A. in Political Science!)

The original picture has fresh white roses but I wanted this to last longer. I was going to buy 2 dozen fake white roses but they were like, $5 a piece at Jo-Ann's and my mental guestimation ($500? $5,000?) decided that was going to be wayyy too much. I'm not sure what these other flowers are but they're gorgeous and I sort of want giant fake flower arrangements around my entire house now!

Here are the pictures of what I came up with:














Close enough! :)
 

4 comments:

  1. That is so cute!!! I may have to copy that one. How smart to spray paint the bugs! I'm attempting to actually decorate for Halloween this year and I am pretty pumped. I had no clue you had a blog, love it and can't wait to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Spray painting them was super easy and using a glossy paint made them look extra gross, haha! And I actually just started this blog a few days ago (the Influenster posts from awhile ago were just random to get points in that site, haha.) You've been one of my biggest blogging inspirations for years and I figured I'd like to have my own place to show off some of the crazy renovations we've done!

      Delete
  2. How cute, I love the butterfly! Nice job!

    Jen
    Jen.amileamemory@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The butterfly was my favorite too. I had another one in one of my jars on the mantle.

      Delete